Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Kingston Bagpuize

Kingston Bagpuize lies six miles west of Abingdon. The parish included the hamlet of Southmoor and part of the hamlet of Newbridge. It is at the junction of roads from Abingdon, Faringdon and Witney, Oxfordshire. The soil is stone-brash, black loam, sand and clay. More than a quarter of the land was permanent grass, just over a quarter arable, and a small amount of woodland. There was one principal landowner. There were two fairs annually at Newbridge.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.94-95.


Acreage: 1109
Population 1801: 280
  1831: 306
  1861: 283

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 5, 9

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Kingston Bagpuize (1807) - Ref: D/P77/26 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Kingston Bagpuize (1807) - Ref: D/P77/26 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 26/05/2017.