The market town of Wantage lies three and a half miles from Faringdon, near the Vale of White Horse and the Downs. The parish included the villages of Charlton, Grove and West Lockinge. It is on the River Ock. The soil is good, a mixture of clay, greensand and chalk. Most of the land was arable, with pasture on the Downs. There was a weekly market (two in the nineteeth century), and between two and four fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.179-181.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 14, 20