Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Waltham St Lawrence

The straggling village (two miles long) of Waltham St Lawrence lies eight miles east of Reading and eight miles west of Maidenhead. The parish included the hamlet of Shurlock Row or Southlake. The soil is chalk and clay. Approximately five eighths of the land was permanent pasture, a quarter arable, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.176-178.


Acreage: 3640
Population 1801: 572
  1831: 739
  1861: 848

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 30, 38

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Waltham St Lawrence (1805) - Ref: D/P141/26/1A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Waltham St Lawrence (1805) - Ref: D/P141/26/1B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Waltham St Lawrence (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/73A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Waltham St Lawrence (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/73B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/11/2017.