Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Uffington

Uffington lies four miles southeast of Faringdon and four miles from Wantage, between the Vale of White Horse and the Downs. The parish included the chapelries and villages of Baulking and Woolstone. It is on the main road to Faringdon and was close to the Berks and Wilts Canal. The soil is loam, stone-brash and chalk. Most of the land was permanent grass, with one fifth arable.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.168-170.


Acreage: 6690
Population 1801: 813
  1831: 1019
  1861: 1081

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 13, 19

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Uffington (1777 (Uffington, Baulking, Woolstone)) - Ref: Q/RDC/84A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 21/09/2017.