Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Tilehurst

The small village of Tilehurst lies three miles northwest of Reading. The extensive parish included the hamlets of Calcot and Theale. It is on the main roads from London to Bath and from Reading to Oxford, and the River Thames forms the northeastern boundary. The soil is clay, chalk and alluvium. Almost half the land was arable, almost half grassland, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.166-167. 'The Poor's Land Charity, Tilehurst, Berkshire: A history, with notes on the Tilehurst Inclosure Act 1811, the Award 1817 etc.', written for the trustees of the chairty (1999).


Acreage: 5259
Population 1801: 1353
  1831: 1878
  1861: 2330

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 28, 29, 36, 37

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Tilehurst (1817) - Ref: Q/RDC/83A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Tilehurst (1817) - Ref: Q/RDC/83B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 20/09/2017.