Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Shefford, West

West (or Great) Shefford lies five and a half miles northeast of Hungerford. The parish included the hamlet of Shefford Woodlands. It is on the the Rivers Lambourn and Kennet, and at the junction of the main roads from Hungerford to Wantage and from Newbury to Lambourn. The soil is chalk. Almost nine tenths of the land was arable, with very small amounts of permanent grass and woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) p.132.


Acreage: 2243
Population 1801: 422
  1831: 559
  1861: 538

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 25, 26, 33, 34

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Shefford, West (1820) - Ref: Q/RDC/6A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Shefford, West (1820) - Ref: Q/RDC/6B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 28/07/2017.