Shalbourne lies four miles southwest of Hungerford, in east Wiltshire. The parish straddled the boundary between Berkshire and Wiltshire, and included the hamlets of Bagshot and Oxenwood in the Berkshire portion of the parish. The soil is mainly chalk with some clay, sand and alluvium. Just under half the land was arable, less than a quarter permanent grass and one tenth woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.84-86. 'Victoria County History: Wiltshire'.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 33, 41