The market town and ancient borough of Reading lies at the confluence of the Rivers Kennet and Thames. The parish of St Giles included the hamlet of Whitley, and the parish of St Mary included the hamlets of Coley and Southcote, all outside the borough boundary. It lies on the main road from London to Bath, with other roads to Oxford and Southampton. There were two markets a week and four fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.122-125.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 29, 37