Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Newbury

The market town and borough of Newbury lies seventeen miles west of Reading, in the extreme west of Berkshire. It is on the main road from London to Bath, the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal. The land was divided between arable, pasture and hay-marsh. There was an extremely large weekly corn market, the largest in the county. There were four fairs and a hiring market annually.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.111-113.


Acreage: 1762
Population 1801: 4275
  1831: 5959
  1861: 6161

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 34, 35, 42, 43

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Newbury (1849) - Ref: Q/RDC/46A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Newbury (1849) - Ref: Q/RDC/46B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Newbury (1858 (Wash Common)) - Ref: Q/RDC/85A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Newbury (1858 (Wash Common)) - Ref: Q/RDC/85B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 20/09/2017.