Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Longworth

The large village of Longworth lies seven miles from Faringdon. The parish included the chapelry of Charney Bassett. It is on the Rivers Thames and Ock. The soil is a heavy black sand, some of the best land in the county. Nearly half the land was permanent grass, slightly less arable, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.103-105.


Acreage: 4554
Population 1801: 758
  1831: 1034
  1861: 1131

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 5, 9

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Longworth (1805 (Longworth & Charney Bassett)) - Ref: D/EEL/P4 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Longworth (1805 (Longworth & Charney Bassett)) - Ref: KB122/991 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Longworth (1844 (Draycott Moor)) - Ref: Q/RDC/59A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Longworth (1844 (Draycott Moor)) - Ref: Q/RDC/59B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 22/06/2017.