Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Lockinge, East

East Lockinge lies two and a half miles southeast of Wantage, between the Downs and the Vale of White Horse. The parish included the hamlet of West Lockinge, and the tithings of Betterton and West Ginge. The soil is a mixture of chalk, greensand and clay. The land was divided between arable and pasture.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.102-103.


Acreage: 3742
Population 1801: 305
  1831: 373
  1861: 318

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 14, 20

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Lockinge, East (1853 See also Ardington) - Ref: Q/RDC/89A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Lockinge, East (1853 See also Ardington) - Ref: Q/RDC/89B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/11/2017.