Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Letcombe Regis

Letcombe Regis lies one and a half miles southwest of Wantage, on the Downs. The parish included the chapelries of East and West Challow. The soil is chiefly chalk, with some greensand. More than half the land was arable. The River Ock and the Great Western Railway passed through.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.100-102.


Acreage: 4551
Population 1801: 808
  1831: 895
  1861: 1014

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 19, 20

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Letcombe Regis (1803 (West Challow)) - Ref: Q/RDC/21A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Letcombe Regis (1803 (West Challow)) - Ref: Q/RDC/21B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Letcombe Regis (1804 (Letcombe Regis & East Challow)) - Ref: Q/RDC/82A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Letcombe Regis (1804 (Letcombe Regis & East Challow)) - Ref: Q/RDC/82B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 27/07/2017.