Inkpen lies three miles southeast of Hungerford in the southwest corner of Berkshire. The parish included the hamlets of Inkpen Great Common and Upper Green. It is on the road from Hungerford to Andover, Hampshire, and the Kennet and Avon Canal runs through detached portions of the parish. The soil is mainly chalk and clay, with some sand, gravel and brick-earth. Three sevenths of the land was arable, a quarter permanent grass and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.92-94.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 41, 42