Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Ilsley, West

The small village of West Ilsley lies eleven miles northwest of Newbury and two miles from the market town of East Ilsley, in a deep valley on the Downs. The soil is chalk. More than half the land was arable, over a third permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.91-92.


Acreage: 3037
Population 1801: 341
  1831: 425
  1861: 432

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 20, 21

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Ilsley, West (1828) - Ref: Q/RDC/70A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Ilsley, West (1828) - Ref: Q/RDC/70B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 23/05/2017.