The straggling village (five miles long) of Hurst lies six miles from Reading, in Windsor Forest. The parish included the liberties of Whistley, Broad Hinton, Newland, and Winnersh, and the villages of Twyford and Bearwood. Part of the parish formed a detached portion of Wiltshire. The River Loddon forms the western boundary, and it is on the main road from Reading to Wokingham. The soil is alluvial, gravel and a small amount of clay. It was heavily wooded.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.88-89.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 30, 38, 46