Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Hinksey, South

South Hinksey lies one mile south of Oxford and five and a half miles north of Abingdon. The parish included New Hinksey, a suburb of Oxford. It is on the main road from Oxford to Abingdon and the River Thames. The soil is clay, gravel and loam. Approximately one quarter of the land was arable.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.53-55.


Acreage: 651
Population 1801: 162
  1831: 157
  1861: 636

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 6

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Hinksey, South (See Cumnor)

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 21/07/2017.