East Hendred lies four and a half miles northeast of Wantage, near the Vale of White Horse. The soil is chalk and loam. Half the land was arable, one sixth permanent grass and a small amount woodland. It was formerly (in the fifteenth century) a market town with a weekly market and two fairs annually.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.80-81.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 14, 15, 20, 21