Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Hanney, West

West Hanney lies four miles northeast of Wantage. The parish included the chapelry of Lyford, the township of East Hanney and part of the hamlet of North Denchworth. The River Ock runs through, as did the Wilts and Berks Canal. The soil is loam and clay. More than half the land was arable.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.77-78.


Acreage: 4276
Population 1801: 865
  1831: 1030
  1861: 947

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 9, 14

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Hanney, West (1803 (Lyford)) - Ref: Q/RDC/19A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hanney, West (1803 (Lyford)) - Ref: Q/RDC/19B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hanney, West (1806 (East Hanney)) - Ref: CP43/903 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hanney, West (1806 (East Hanney)) - Ref: MPL1/36 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hanney, West (1840) - Ref: C54/12315 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hanney, West (1840) - Ref: MPA1/59 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 22/06/2017.