The village and small parish of Hamstead Marshall lies four miles southwest of Newbury, in west Berkshire. It is on the River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal. The soil is mostly heavy clay with some sand and gravel. Just under a third of the land was permanent grass, one sixth woodland and a little less arable.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.74-75.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 34, 42