Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Hampstead Norreys

The small village of Hampstead Norreys lies seven miles northeast of Newbury, in west Berkshire. The extensive parish included the hamlets of Bothampstead, Eling, Hermitage, Little Hungerford, Langley, Wellhouse and Worlds End. It is on the main road from Newbury to Oxford, and the River Pang. The soil is varied, a mixture of chalk, clay, sand and gravel. More than half the land was arable, the remainder being half permanent grass and half woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.75-77.


Acreage: 6046
Population 1801: 855
  1831: 1179
  1861: 1358

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 27, 35

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Hampstead Norreys (1773) - Ref: Q/RDC/2A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hampstead Norreys (1778) - Ref: Q/RDC/5A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Hampstead Norreys (1778) - Ref: Q/RDC/5B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 27/07/2017.