Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Farnborough

The small village of Farnborough lies nine miles west of Newbury, on the Berkshire Downs. It was on the pack-horse road from Hungerford to Abingdon and Oxford. The soil is clay. Approximately two thirds of the land was arable, with some woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.65-66.


Acreage: 1886
Population 1801: 213
  1831: 229
  1861: 232

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 20

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Farnborough (1777) - Ref: D/EW/E12A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 20/09/2017.