Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Enborne

The small village of Enborne lies two and a half miles southwest of Newbury. The River Kennet and the Kennet and Avon Canal pass nearby. The soil is mostly heavy clay with some sand and gravel. Approximately two fifths of the land was permanent grass, one third arable and one tenth woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.60-61.


Acreage: 2501
Population 1801: 275
  1831: 420
  1861: 412

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 42

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Enborne (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/11A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Enborne (1815) - Ref: Q/RDC/11B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 23/05/2017.