Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Didcot

Didcot lies five miles south of Abingdon. It is on the main road from Wantage to Wallingford. The soil is mainly chalk and sand. Nearly half the land was pasture, and over a quarter arable. There was a weekly market and an annual fair.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.56-57.


Acreage: 1120
Population 1801: 181
  1831: 181
  1861: 349

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 15

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Didcot (1852) - Ref: Q/RDC/26A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Didcot (1852) - Ref: Q/RDC/26B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 21/07/2017.