Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Compton

Compton lies nine miles northeast of Newbury. There were two villages in the parish: East and West Compton. The soil is chalk and flint. More than half the land was arable, just over a quarter permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.48-49.


Acreage: 3363
Population 1801: 488
  1831: 554
  1861: 590

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 21, 27

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Compton (1814 (West Compton)) - Ref: Q/RDC/79A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Compton (1814 (West Compton)) - Ref: Q/RDC/79B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/11/2017.