Header Graphic

Place-name search - details


The irregularly shaped village of Cholsey lies two and a half miles southwest of Wallingford. The parish included the hamlet of Winterbrook. The River Thames forms the eastern boundary. The village is on the main road to Wallingford, and the main road from Reading to Wallingford passes through the parish. The soil is mainly chalk and sand. More than two thirds of the land was arable.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.43-44.

Acreage: 5879
Population 1801: 814
  1831: 983
  1861: 1127


OS Map Grid Ref(s): 16, 21, 22


Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Cholsey (1851) - Ref: Q/RDC/90A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Cholsey (1851) - Ref: Q/RDC/90B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]


[ Back to parish list ]



This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 6/13/2024.