The large, scattered village of Chieveley lies four and a half miles north of Newbury, on the Downs. The large parish included the chapelries of Leckhampstead, Oare and Winterbourne, the townships of Curridge and Snelsmore, and the hamlet of North Heath. The main road from Newbury to Oxford runs through the parish. The soil is mostly loam, with some stiff clay on the high ground, sand at Oare, gravel at Snelsmore and alluvium in the Winterbourne valley. More than half the land was arable, a seventh permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.38-41.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 27, 35