Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Boxford

The scattered village of Boxford lies four miles northwest of Newbury. The parish included the hamlet of Westbrook. It is on the main road from Newbury to Lambourn, and the River Lambourn runs through. The soil is mainly chalk and clay, with a little gravel. More than two thirds of the land was arable, about one seventh permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.22-23.


Acreage: 2819
Population 1801: 416
  1831: 628
  1861: 636

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 26, 34

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Boxford (1819) - Ref: Q/RDC/71A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Boxford (1819) - Ref: Q/RDC/71B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 21/07/2017.