Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Blewbury

Blewbury lies five miles southwest of Wallingford at the foot of the Downs. The parish included the hamlets and chapelries of Aston Upthorpe and Upton. It is on the main road from Reading to Wantage. The soil is chalk and sand. Approximately half the land was arable, a quarter permanent pasture, and a very small amount woodland including cherry orchards. There was an annual fair.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.21-22.


Acreage: 6983
Population 1801: 966
  1831: 1056
  1861: 1114

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 15, 21

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Blewbury (1759 (Upton)) - Ref: Q/RDC/3A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Blewbury (1794 (Aston Upthorpe)) - Ref: CPC20B/20/1A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Blewbury (1794 (Aston Upthorpe)) - Ref: CPC20B/20/1B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Blewbury (1805) - Ref: KB122/795 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Blewbury (1805) - Ref: MPNN1/1/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 29/05/2017.