Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Beedon

The small village lies six miles north west of Newbury on the Downs. The parish included the hamlet of Stanmore. It is on the main road from Newbury to Oxford. The soil is mainly chalk and clay, with some sand in the southeast. Three quarters of the land was arable, about one tenth permanent grass, and a small amount woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.14-15.


Acreage: 2012
Population 1801: 303
  1831: 306
  1861: 317

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 27

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Beedon (1843) - Ref: Q/RDC/50A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Beedon (1843) - Ref: Q/RDC/50B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Beedon (1855 (Beedon Common)) - Ref: Q/RDC/28A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Beedon (1855 (Beedon Common)) - Ref: Q/RDC/28B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Beedon (1856 (Stanmore Common)) - Ref: Q/RDC/49A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Beedon (1856 (Stanmore Common)) - Ref: Q/RDC/49B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/11/2017.