Basildon lies eight miles northwest of Reading. The parish included the village of Upper Basildon. It is on the river Thames and the main road from Reading to Oxford. The soil is chalk, loam, gravel and clay. Approximately half the land was arable, nearly a third grass, with some woodland and water. There was a weekly market and an annual fair.
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.12-14.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 28