Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Barkham

The small, scattered village of Barkham lies two miles southwest of Wokingham, in Windsor Forest. It is on the road to Wokingham. The soil is mainly clay, with some sand on higher ground and a little gravel and alluvium. Approximately one third was arable, over a third permanent grass, and a little less than a third woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.11-12.


Acreage: 1388
Population 1801: 185
  1831: 247
  1861: 280

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 38, 46

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Barkham (1821. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: D/P13/26A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Barkham (1821. See also Windsor Forest) - Ref: D/P13/26B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 18/11/2017.